As one goes through the adoption process, it is easy to get caught up in the difficulties, the frustrations, and the fear, but God has been reminding me over and over that this is a time to be thankful! Even though this road can be a roller coaster, I have so many things to be thankful for and today, I am going to share some of those with you – from the magnificent to the frivolous.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7 (emphasis mine)
I am thankful for:
1) Our God who sent his son to die for us, that we might be saved. This same God wants and desires a daily relationship with us. He guards the way of the godly (Psalm 1:6), protecting us and guiding us. We can rest and not worry, knowing that if we are turning to Him, He will make our way clear! He works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28). He is the God of immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine! (Ephesians 3:20) The LORD is the stronghold of my life– of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
2) My amazing husband, who sacrificially cares for Abby and I everyday, putting our needs ahead of his own.
3) My sweet Abby-girl, who brings joy everywhere she goes. Her laugh, her smiles, her cuddles, and her sweet little voice make every day an amazing day. As we go through this adoption process again, she is my constant reminder of God’s faithfulness. He truly gave us more than we could ask or imagine with this sweet little girl!
4) Cliche as it is, I am thankful for our family, for how much they love and care for us! We were blessed with a large family and we wouldn’t trade it any day! I am thankful that they are willing to travel miles to spend time with us and that when we are together, it is as if we have never been apart.
5) I am beyond thankful for Natasha (Abby’s birth mom) and her amazing family. They have become like a second family to us and we are so grateful for the relationship that God has given us and the story He has written for us! It is not what any of us ever pictured, but it is incredible! I am so thankful that Natasha made the courageous choice to give her baby life!
6) Steve and Donna, the couple that Natasha stayed with during her pregnancy. Without their willingness to open up their home, we would have never met Natasha or welcomed our sweet Abby-girl to our family!
7) Technology: living far away from family, I am so thankful for face-time, the internet, and cheap phone plans that keep us connected. I love that because of face time, my parents aren’t strangers to Abby, even when she hasn’t seen them for months!
8) All of our family and friends who have walked the adoption journey with us – offering prayer, a listening ear during the tough and exciting times, and more than generous financial support! We couldn’t adopt with out you!
9) Amazing friends who are there through thick and thin and point us to Christ!
10) Our cozy house, which truly is a blessing from God. I love that we have a guest room for our friends and family to stay in and that it has been full throughout the month of November!
11) Online adoption support communities – it is such a blessing to have people who understand the journey, because they have traveled it!
12) That we get to put our Christmas decorations up tomorrow! I am excited that it is officially okay to watch Christmas movies tomorrow!
13) Our new home town of Castle Rock! I love this sweet community and all the fun events they have!
I could go on and on, but you get the idea!